Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Skyscraper Quilt is Finished

A few weeks ago, we looked at six options for my one-block quilt, which was a challenge from the modern quilt club I belong to.


This is the option I chose, and this is the block I took for show and tell.  I thought it was going to be the whole quilt, but when I got home, it felt unfinished and too scrappy.  Luckily, all I had done was the top, so it was no problem to modify it before making the sandwich and quilting it.



The skyscraper fabric is probably my favorite fabric in the whole world, in my entire lifetime.  I wanted more of it in the quilt.

It inspired a trip to the antique mall a few days ago, to shop for vintage skyscraper postcards.




And the bridge fabric ranks right up there, too.

I found this vintage bridge postcard at the same time.




I added right and left borders of the skyscraper fabric, and a bottom border to match the top.  Then I called it quits.

The finished quilt is 42" wide and 39" tall.




Black and white binding ties into the mostly black and white back.  

And as usual, good old straight-line quilting.



This is a section of the back.  The fabric on the lower right is used on the front borders.  Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that fabric is on my all-time favorite list, too.  It looks exactly like fabric from the 1960s.  I had just a little bit of it left, so I thought it was a good opportunity to piece together the many black, white, and red fabrics from my stash.  




Here's the complete back.  I was happy to get all that fabric used up. 




My label is boring, because I was in a hurry.  I think the chevrons look like the angles of skyscrapers, and I convinced myself that's why I didn't have to do anything more complicated.  The border fabric on the label was pure black on one side, with gold dots on the other.  They look a little like stars.

Now I'm off to start the other skyscraper project I promised to finish this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.