Monday, February 23, 2015

Chinese Lanterns - Front and Back

Last week I about drove myself crazy with an overly ambitious list of paper-piecing projects.  I wanted to make a quilt, an apron, and a pincushion for the paper piecing presentation I was doing for my modern quilting club on Thursday.  I started just one week before the meeting, and although I didn't quite finish everything, I came close.  

I pieced the Chinese lanterns quilt top and made the apron, just finishing it 1/2 hour before I left home.  The pincushion will have to wait for another day.


This is the front of the Chinese lantern quilt.  The pattern came from Paper Piecing with Alex Anderson.  

I changed up the border from what's in the book.  She had a narrow inner border of white and an outer border of piano keys.  I'm having just this one white border with cornerstones.  The more of a border there is, the less modern it looks.




I pieced the back this morning. Although I had some fabric (not used on the front) that was large enough to cover the entire back, I decided to use the lantern fabric instead.  I like the continuity with the front.  Plus I'll be doing most of the quilting with white thread, and that will work out just fine on the back.  With the other fabric it would have been too visible.

Quilting shouldn't be too difficult.  I'll get at it while the project is fresh, and make the sandwich this afternoon.

Next post will have the apron.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.