Monday, September 3, 2012

Urban Cabin

I love Log Cabin blocks.  You'll be seeing them repeatedly on my blog.

My first quilt was a diamond Log Cabin.  It was supposed to be a Christmas tree skirt pattern, done in Christmas colors.  I had other ideas.  I made it in 1990 when quilting fabric was very traditional.  We used a staple gun to attach it to the wall (really!).  Then I didn't make another quilt for ten years.

Although the fabrics in that quilt were calico for the most part, the color palette (with the peach and grey) is contemporary after 20 years and would fit well in today's modern quilt movement, particularly if the black were replaced with white.  The Log Cabin block is popular with modern quilters, just as it has been with many quilters over the years.  You'll find lots of books and patterns with a modern take on Log Cabin, including Terry Atkinson's Urban Cabin.


I decided to make another Log Cabin quilt, this time using Terry's pattern.  The inspiration for my color palette was one of the most beautiful modern urban buildings I know of - the Wisconsin Trade Center.  Many buildings have reflective glass, but few, if any, have this one's special quality.  Instead of just a straight reflection, these windows wrap the light and images in another layer, giving back more than they receive.  The corner reflections where the towers meet produce a diamond pattern that makes it difficult to see where the true edges are.  The angularity of the towers are softened by the arched entryway, just as the wood helps soften all the glass.


The pin basting offers a metallic sheen similar to the building.


 Finished product.  No staple gun involved when hanging this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.