Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday is Fun Day - Walnut Shells

Last week I was looking at some really cute pincushions that Amanda Jean Nyberg is making.  I had heard other people talking about filling their pincushions with walnut shells that you buy at a pet store.  I used to use fiber filling, but the pincushions are too light, so I decided to follow Amanda's advice.


On Friday I made a trip to my favorite pet store.  It's a good thing Amanda said it was sold as lizard litter, because when I asked where were the bags of crushed walnut shells that quilters use for pincushions, the clerk said she didn't know.  When I asked where the reptile aisle was, that put me exactly where I needed to be.

Now why I didn't just ask for reptile litter in the first place, I don't know.  Maybe subconsciously I wanted to be identified as a sewer, not a lizard owner.  Not that there's anything wrong with lizards, but I'm more of a dog person.

The shells are ground as finely as sand - I was expecting something larger.  Now I think I need a funnel in order to fill the pincushions.  First I should try to find the two I already bought (and misplaced) for other purposes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.