Thursday, July 28, 2016

Hybrid Geese

I never did start that lamp mini quilt.  I've been doing lots of outside projects this summer instead of sewing and blogging.  And every time I thought about that lamp pattern, I realized it no longer held my interest. 

But now I feel like sewing again, so what will I work on?


You see that pattern in the lower left?  I picked fabric for it a couple of months ago, so I decided that would be a good project.  You see how it says "sew simple" at the top?  And "triple easy" at the bottom?  

After I (tried to) read the directions, I was reminded of the "hilarious" label that gets slapped on comedy DVDs.  I have yet to watch one described as hilarious that came close to the build up.  So when I see that word on a DVD, I'm not fooled.  And when I see "simple" on a pattern, I feel the same way.

Their way of making one-seam flying geese was too complicated for me.  Plus the block was too big, and I'm mathematically challenged when it comes to resizing blocks.

Segue to Plan B.  You see the nice smiley Alex Anderson book?  She has a perfect (for me) flying geese paper pieced pattern.  I'm going to enlarge it a little bit after I scan it.  Then I'll use the setting from the Sew Simple Patterns, or a variation on it.  Voila - hybrid geese.




This is my focus fabric, which I'll use for the large solid rectangles.




These are the other fabrics.  Right now, I plan on white geese, with the colored fabrics as background.  I suppose I should try one with a white background and colored geese.  Come to think about it, why couldn't I mix it up and use both?  Then I'd really have some hybrid geese.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.