Friday, February 14, 2014

Vintage Valentine-ish

I found myself buying a few heart-shaped items in the last year or so, along with one (just one!) vintage Valentine.  Time to take a look.


There were lots of Valentines from the 1950s at the antique stores, but I liked this one for two reasons.  It looks like it's from the 1920s, and it's mostly pink (instead of red). 

There's only one thing I don't like about it, and that's the message on the inside.  Valentines ought to be nice, right?  This one has a backhanded "compliment":

Though your eyes do not shine like stars
Though your hair does not curl
When it comes to choosing Valentines
You are the only girl


Some heart-shaped beads.


Looks like a pig walked through here and spilled the beads.  Better that than tipping over the vase.


I love this cookie cutter.  Most of the ones in the antique store were red and were hollow.  This one leaves a beautiful embossed top on the cookie.  I was having fond thoughts of how old it must be.  When I got home and was cleaning it up, I found this embossing on the back:  ©Hallmark Cards, Inc.  75¢  Oh well.  I still like it. 


I found this plastic box this past weekend.  It's about 3/4" tall.  It's so smooth and shiny.  This is the shade of pink that was popular in the 1950s, so maybe that's when it was made.


Somebody's in a Valentine-ish mood, and all dressed up, to boot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.