Friday, July 12, 2013

From the Vault - Frog Quilt

Pirate toads, then turtles, why not frogs?


I made Frog Quilt in April of last year.  It's so summery, I had to pull it out again and hang it on the wall.  It's 40" tall and 43" wide.  I started with the center panel of frogs and dragonflies on a sky background.




I added a narrow inner border of striped Kaffe Fassett, a top border of more sky, then a pieced border of coordinating fabrics.




Similar treatment at the bottom, only this time grass fabric instead of sky.




On the sides, I made some half-square triangles using Thangles.  They're good if you need your blocks to be a particular size.  In this case, since the quilt was improvisational, I could have just made them any dimension, as long as they were consistent.

The fabric choice and arrangement of the top block looks like a hole in the screen with bugs coming through.  For the bottom block, it looks like fan blades for a hot summer day.  Neither was planned; it's a story I made up after the fact.


Excuse the loose threads on the back - not sure why I didn't pick them off!  But you can see the quilting clearly.




Lemons on the label and the sleeve because it's summer and one finds oneself in the mood for lemonade.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.