Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Flower Power Ironing Board Cover

There's three things I like a lot about my ironing board:
  1. It's mechanically very sound.
  2. It's orange.
  3. And the cover is nice and thick.  
 There was only one thing I didn't like, and that was the worn state of the cover.   That's easy to fix.



All I needed was two yards of this colorful fabric and a ball of twine.  

There were many beautiful fabrics I could have chosen, but since I'm keeping the old cover underneath, I made sure the new fabric was dark enough that it wouldn't allow for any "show through".




There are lots of tutorials online, and I chose two.  

Make It Handmade has a shortcut where you just drape the fabric over the ironing board and cut it that way, instead of flipping the ironing board upside down on your fabric and tracing the size you need.  I was going to try that part, and use an alternative to her bias tape casing, but I was nervous about freehand cutting, so I didn't use her tutorial after all.  But her drape-and-cut method is a great idea and I might try it in the future.

Momtastic was the tutorial I used for the most part.  I have a large work table, so it wasn't a problem to flip my ironing board onto the fabric to do the tracing.  Instead of a bias tape casing, her's is done by folding and stitching the edge of your fabric.  Two things I did differently from her tutorial:  I used string instead of elastic, and I used a bodkin instead of a safety pin to pull the string through the casing.




It was super easy to make, which is good.  I redecorate my sewing room a lot, so it won't be a problem to make a new cover next time I use a different color scheme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.