Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday Theme - Solar System, Part 2

Each Thursday I'll feature items that have a similar theme.  They might be quilts, books, or purses I made.  Or, they might be ceramics or other objects (not made by me) related to the theme.  If there are too many, I'll spread them out over multiple, but not always consecutive, posts.


 
Today we continue with a series of books I made on the solar system.  We are walking through the planets based on their proximity to the sun, going from closest to farthest.  A previous post dealt with Mercury, Venus, and Earth.  Today's journey takes us to  Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.


 


This is the outside of Mars.  Mars was named for a warrior god, so I used red paper and a spearhead button on the cover to set the tone.


 


Way over on the right, you can see that the cover flips up and the pages unfold.





Another interior shot.  When all the pages are folded back up, the geometric cut-outs frame the silver button of Mars on the last page.





Jupiter is known as the king of the planets, hence the title page/cover has a crown.  The gold foil is rather thick, and I glued bead "jewels" onto it.  Jupiter has a LOT of moons - that's what all the large round beads represent.




Here's the book unfolded.  You pull on the ribbons and the pages close like a Roman shade.



This is the cover of Saturn.  Saturn is known for its rings, so I chose this swirly paper.


Many of the books have riddles that deal with the planets.  I wish I had thought of them, but I didn't.  I used children's books for some of my sources, because they had a distillation of facts, which I distilled further.  On the right, you see 3-D "rings" that pop up around the "planet" when you open the book.



On the left, a copy of Saturn's rings from my 1960's-era and recently discarded Encyclopedia Britannica set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.