Sunday, April 27, 2014

Portable Spring

This time of year, I, like most people, can't wait for lots of flowers in the yard.  Last weekend I stopped at a garden center to pick up a couple of pansies.  I wasn't expecting such a large selection of plants.  Wow.  Move over, dog, and make some room for plants!  




Sometimes I like to mix a variety of plants, and sometimes I don't.  I kept these primrose together, isolated, because it looked like one big bouquet.   I first tried them in a larger pot, farther away in the yard,  but they were so short they were hard to see.  So I replanted them in a purple metal pot, and set it on black elevated legs right next to a spot we walk past frequently.

Primroses are so hardy.  Even the ones you buy for the house can be planted outside and they come back reliably the next year.


Nothing says instant garden like a hanging basket.  I like this plant stand because it folds flat for winter storage.  Sometimes I put it on my outside table for a large centerpiece.




The daffodil and hyacinth bulbs were forced to bloom at just the right time.  By buying them potted, I didn't have to dig any holes last fall, nor worry about squirrels digging up the bulbs.

The fairy princess was outside all winter.  She had been next to a bush, and wasn't very visible, so I forgot about her.  One of her wires rusted and she fell off her perch, but I fixed her up good as new for this year.  This time I stuck her in a pot where I'll be sure to see her often and not forget about her this fall.




Both the daffodil and hyacinth came in these pretty silver buckets.  I like a little sparkle in a garden.




The Oesteospermum on the right came in that yellow pot.  I'll be able to use it again next year.

The nice thing about my portable spring is that I can move the plants wherever I want.  Since this picture was taken, these plants have already moved to a new spot that I can easily see from my sewing room window.




Plans often change when I get home.  I was going to plant the columbine in the ground, but I don't know if rabbits eat them or not.  You'd think having a dog and lots of dog odors in the yard would keep rabbits away, but no.  Now the plants are elevated and should be safe for awhile.   Being a perennial, I'll eventually move them into the ground.




Most of the flowers I bought were yellow and purple, so I threw in some orange accents for a little relief.


When the weather warms up and I get the rest of my flowers, I want to get some for the hummingbirds.  I think they might go for these.  I thought they only liked red flowers, but that's not true.  

Maybe they'll go get a drink of water since it's right in the neighborhood.  Last year we switched to a hanging bird bath because racoons kept knocking over the standing one.

As you can see, I came home with an almost instant, and totally portable garden.  Some hanging baskets, some flowers already in nice pots, and some that needed planting.  By the end of the day, everything was in a light enough pot that it can be carried into the garage in case it gets below freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.