Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Move It

Sometimes there's a hard way to do things, and sometimes there's an easy way.


I love this pincushion that I made a few years ago.  It's tiny - just 3" square.  The top has some pleats folded into it, and I sewed mini buttons on the top.  Since the only things I ever stick in it are two needles, the buttons don't present much of an obstacle.  I always know where my needles for binding and other hand sewing are.  (I have a different one for my embroidery needles.)


However, what I don't love is how it looks on my pale pink vintage kitchen cart.  The top shelf of the cart is where I keep all the sewing supplies I need at my fingertips.  All the other items on the shelf are vintage and more subdued in color.

It bugged me so much, I finally had to do something about it this week.  I decided I needed to make a new pincushion, in fabric that would complement everything else on that shelf.  In all my stash, I only found one piece of fabric that would work, and it was only a scrap.

I set it on the pink shelf, next to the discordant pincushion, then left the room.  A minute later I buzzed back in, and do you think I could find that fabric?  I looked all over the place, frustrated and puzzled.  After buzzing in and out a few more times, I found it on the floor - it had slipped right off the shelf.  Coincidence?  Sabotage by an insecure pincushion that didn't want to be replaced?  Hmm.


My solution was to move the pincushion to a different, nearby location.  It's still at my fingertips, and now it looks much better.  I didn't feel like making another pincushion anyhow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.