Friday, July 11, 2014

Marsh Pea

I discovered a new (to me) wild flower this summer, called Marsh Pea (Lathyrus palustris).  It's a member of the bean family, so I don't know why it's called Marsh Pea.  At first, I was positive it was a Sweet Pea, even though it seemed odd for a cultivated plant to be growing so unfettered in a wild area.  Probably the person that named it thought so, too. 


They don't usually grow this straight.




A fly sits on the right, giving a sense of scale.




Here was my initial reaction to this Rorschach photograph...
  • The flower buds look similar to the swollen seed pods of Wild Indigo.  
  • The fully open flower looks like an orchid.
  • The bright pink buds look like a fortune cookie or a clam shell.
Here's my revised reaction:  They look like Marsh Pea parts.
 


Colors range from pink to purple, in various saturations.




A nice background for Yarrow.




A gentle swoop.




And a little morning dew.  I think this might be my favorite native plant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.