Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Quilts by Monday

I'm slowly diverging myself of my older fabric, and even more slowly buying new.  My goal is to have only new fabric that I use in a reasonable amount of time, while it's still fresh.  It finally sunk in that it's kind of silly to buy something (anything) that's exciting, then take it home and put it on a shelf or in the refrigerator until it's not so wonderful any more.



That goes for books, too.  This week starts a new plan.  I bought Quilts by Monday over the weekend and I'm going to take advantage of this window of excitement by making one of its quilts by next Monday.  Really I am.

The title was intriguing.  I've looked at books like this before, but the quilts are usually boring and the reason they can be made quickly is because the blocks are ridiculously large.  For someone who primarily likes to make wall hangings, that scale isn't logical.

Although Amazon lets you look inside this book, the best place to get a peek at Quilts by Monday is on the publisher's website.  Click on "See More Images" under the cover photo and you'll see pictures of each of the twelve projects.




This is the fabric I'm going to use, along with a healthy dose of white.  It's a lovely organic cotton from Birch Fabrics that I bought from The Sewcial Lounge nearly two years ago.  See, that's what I mean about buying stuff and putting it on a shelf.  The good part is I still love this fabric; the bad part is they no longer sell it, so if I wanted more, I'd be out of luck.

My goal this summer is to use up as much of my fabric as possible.   Fall is a good time for new beginnings, and that's when I'll officially start and stick to my Use-It-While-It's-Still-Exciting Plan.  Between Quilt Expo and the new location of The Sewcial Lounge, September is definitely going to be exciting.

With that in mind, I'll have a new quilt to show you next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.