Friday, February 26, 2016

Tutorial - Book Covers

I like using my old-fashioned, hold-in-my hands dictionary.  But the cover is ugly and never matches any of the decorating in the room it sits in.  After years and years, I finally got the idea to put a new cover on it.


I bought this role of hand-made paper at World Market for only $3.




Here's the "before" cover - all plain and functional.  Not to mention I hate red.




The length of the paper was just fine, but the height needed a little trimming.  I wanted 2" of paper extending out from the top and bottom edges of the dictionary.

Then on the right side of the paper, I drew a faint line 2" in from those top and bottom edges.





Fold along those lines.




Set the book on its spine and fold one edge over the front cover.  Keep that edge turned under, then lay the book down and fold the other edge over the back cover.




Tuck the covers inside the folded edges.

You see that gap?  I'm going to consider putting double-sided tape in there some day.  But first I want to use the dictionary as is, and see if I really need tape or if it might be a hindrance.  I'm afraid if I tape it, the paper won't slide smoothly over the book when I open and close it.  

If I had used a lightweight gift-wrapping paper with no texture, I'd have taped it right away.  But because my paper is rough and full of texture, when I close the cover, the gap seals up nice and tight and stays that way. 




Finished product.




This paper has a really large-scale print, so the front has one design...




... which is not repeated on the back.


 Both sides are spelled "p-r-e-t-t-y".




I'm looking forward to getting lots of use out of my "new" dictionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.