Monday, June 24, 2013

Shed a Little Light

Lately I've been frustrated about insufficient light when sewing.  My sewing room isn't a problem - it has plenty of light.  But the area around my sewing machine needle was less than satisfactory.  Last week I decided to do something about it and boy, am I ever happy.



There's lots of lighting solutions, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.   This is my new light and here's why I love it:

  • Good design:  The amount of light it emits is great.  And the two flexible arms let you aim the light exactly where you need it.  The light clips to the machine, not the table, so it stays out of the way of the quilts.
  • Cool bulbs:  The bulbs are LED (cool to the touch), not halogen (really hot).  Ten years ago I melted the control part of this sewing machine (where the turquoise buttons are) when it came into extended contact with the shade of an elbow lamp that was clipped to the table.  That was really bad.  I can't do that again because they no longer have a machine to cannibalize for parts.
  • Portable:  The light is removable so you can put the cover on your sewing machine.  I specifically wanted a light that didn't involve gluing something to my machine.  What if the glued-on light breaks someday, and then you're left with a mess.
  • Multi-purpose:  When not clipped to the machine, it can also be used as a  standing lamp (see cover of box below).   
  •  Power source:  It's electrical, not battery.  LED lights can run a battery down fast, so I don't have to worry about that.  Plus, the nearly 10' long cord makes it easy to reach an outlet.


Lights off.




Lights on.




The lamp is from B & H.  I'm going to go quilt now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.