Tuesday, June 4, 2013

From the Vault - Spring Stained Glass Quilt

I made this quilt two years ago.  It's a small wall hanging - 16" x 26", inspired by a piece of stained glass.  I liked the composition and proportion of the "blocks".




This is the focus fabric, with a small sample of hand quilting around the leaves.  The fabric had a water-colory appearance, so I chose the border batiks with that same effect in mind.


This isn't a pieced quilt.  Instead, each component has its edges pressed underneath, then I topstitched along the edges through all three layers.  By using a dark background, it looks like stained glass.




I drew leaves to match the leaves in the focus fabric, and hand quilted around the edges.  On some of them, I embroidered the veins, but on most of them I just drew them in with a pigma pen.  From a distance, it looks fine.  I wanted to keep the leaves airy looking and simple; too much embroidery would have spoiled the effect.




The back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.