Friday, January 25, 2013

Juvenile Embroidery Book - Page 1

In Connected, I showed you some of my twenty eight juvenile transfer embroidery blocks from the 1950s.  I was really happy to find them "blank" - meaning I get the fun of doing the embroidery.




I finished the first one last night.   

I decided rather than sash them into a quilt or wall hanging, I would make a book out of them.  This will take up much less room, which is good.



I'm going to pair each block with a complementing fabric.  Here's my plan:
  1. Find fabric with the same theme as the embroidery block.
  2. Use those colors when picking out embroidery thread.
  3. Instead of using the fabric as a backing on the corresponding block, use it as backing on the preceding page.  That way as you flip through the book, you'll see two interpretations of the same item, at the same time: fabric on the left, block on the right.
 This means I won't be backing the blocks until they're all done and I figure out what order I want them in.




She thinks this is a great idea.


Here's a little peak at some of my other backing fabrics.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.