Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Never Too Simple to Make a Mistake

I'm making a quilt to go with my elephant pillow.  The quilt will cover a chair, and the pillow will sit on the chair, with the quilt as a backdrop.  You won't see very much of the quilt at all, so I went with a simple design of 9" x 12" unpieced blocks.  To get just the right size, I needed to add one 9" x 6" block to each column.


Since the blocks were just one rectangle, unpieced, it should have been a simple job.  But I learned it's never to simple to make a mistake.

Sewing my first two rows together, this is what I got.  I thought maybe I needed to do a little easing, although that seemed more than a little out of range for what you'd expect to ease.




Nevertheless, I started pinning on both ends, and this is what I found in the middle of the column.  Now it finally dawned on me that I had made a mistake.

Turns out that when I cut my 9" x 12" blocks, I had some pieces leftover in the 9" width I needed, but too short for the 6" height I needed.  I set them aside.  But not far enough aside, evidently.  When I cut accurate 9" x 6" blocks, they sort of accidentally got mixed in with the others that were approximately 9" x 5.25".  

I was glad I hadn't goofed up every column, just a few of them.  It was an easy, but still annoying, fix to rip out the wrong block and sew in the right one.



Here's the finished product.  Originally I was calling this the "right" side, but I'm so excited by the other side (not finished yet) that I don't want to call it the "back" side.  So I'm calling them "one side" and "the other side". 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.