Saturday, April 9, 2016

Mood Board Ex Post Facto

Usually you make a mood board ahead of an event, as an inspiration.  But if you want to make one as decoration, say to match a quilt that you have hanging somewhere, then you need to make the mood board afterward.


I had a small area near my Illusory On-Point Quilt, but nothing decorative to go with it in the right colors.  Sometimes that's a good reason to go shopping for something, but sometimes it's a fun challenge to see what can be scrounged up at home.

I collect photographs of mood boards because I'm intrigued by the variety of items that are used.  Some of the most interesting ones never hang on the wall, at least I don't think so, because they have 3-D objects (like a small vase) with no visible means of support.  I think they put the mood board on the floor, lay objects on it, and take a photograph from above (shooting down).

Since I wanted mine hanging on the wall, I had to find lightweight items.




I went through my sewing room and looked for fun items in the colors I needed.  From clockwise, top, I pulled:
  • a page from a small calendar where you're supposed to attach your own photograph
  • miniature sweater made from rubber bands (not by me)
  • package of dice beads
  • pink flower needle threader
  • small pin with a sewing pun
  • zippers

Upper left: wool buckle (not made by me)
Lower left: piano pin
Right: photo of retro-inspired Airflow Sky Princess tricycle in a glorious all-pink room.


I'm always pulling magazine articles from decorating magazines.  This one is from a 2013 House Beautiful article on small houses.  Garden Party features a 640 sq.ft. 1920s home in Palm Beach.  Interior design by Mimi McMakin; photography by Eric Piasecki.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.