Thursday, March 31, 2016

From the Vault - Illusory On-Point Quilt

I made this quilt six years ago, in February of 2010.  It's approximately 48" across and 57" tall.


I had finished my shopping at JoAnn Fabrics, and was browsing magazines on the way to the checkout lane.  I found this quilt, in these colors, in a Fons and Porter magazine.  I immediately wheeled my cart around and went back and bought my own version of the black/white, pink, and green fabrics.  

It looks like an on-point setting, but it isn't - it's made of rows of 9.5" square blocks.  




I drew in these white lines to delineate four blocks from the upper left corner of the quilt.

In the upper right and lower left, you see that the blocks were made with a large square of black/white polka dot fabric, with triangles in two corners.  The remaining two blocks were made similarly, but with four triangles.

I remember this quilt requiring a lot of focus so I wouldn't mess up the placement.  And I remember that there was a lot of waste from the triangles, which were made from squares that got sewn on the diagonal, then flipped back and trimmed.



I like the peace symbols on the green fabric, and the busyness of the light black/white fabric.  It almost looks like more piecing is going on there.


For quilting, I did diagonal lines of green thread in one direction, and pink in the other.

I remember that the pattern called for giant black rick rack, but I didn't do that.

The back is too horrendous to show.  I used up fat quarters of really old black, green, and pink fabrics that I didn't like at all.  And let me emphazise AT ALL.  Nowadays I use something that ugly just to practice quilting on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.