Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Vroom Vroom

In Grease Piggies, I introduced the piggies to a beautiful 1955 Thunderbird that I bought just for them.  I also promised I would make them some new cars.  I think they suspected that my definition of "car" didn't match their's.  Probably that embroidery pattern gave something away. 




Here's the new car, a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, right off the assembly line.  I ordered their favorite color, pink.  It looks a little beat up, so I guess I should send it to the body shop.




A little of this detailing ought to do the trick.





Here's the finished product

Our guild had a School House recently, and one of the presentations was on freeform curved piecing.  That's what I did to frame out the Chevy.  My intention was that the curves would make it feel like the car was on a race track.   The dotted fabric was like hubcaps.

The black striped fabric is like tire treads.  I originally planned to use it as a binding, but I needed it to separate the pink dotted fabric from the car fabric.  It looked too blendy otherwise.  I also (temporarily) used the black stripe for the binding, but had to rip it out because all your eye saw was the two narrow bands of black.  

Another presentation at the School House was on partial seams.  I used that technique for the outer border so that each side would be as long as possible.  The idea was to make the sides feel like a long straight road.  Sorry that you can't get the effect in this picture - the fabric is too busy.

I can't wait to see what the pigs think!!!!




Here's the representative they sent to do the evaluation.  His name is Pig Dean and he's a rebel with a cause.  Even after all the body work I did, he still gave my pink '57 Chevy a thumbs down.  He gives this '55 Thunderbird a thumbs up, though.  

He's a rebel all right, and a little stinker.  He snuck out and got his driver's license when I wasn't looking.




He says he's on his way out to party with the rest of these party animals.  I could point out to him that they're just a bunch of puppets that are easily manipulated, but I don't think he'd listen to me. 

Before he left, we sat down and had a little talk about cars.  We watched  James Dean's public service announcement about safe driving that he did shortly before he was killed in a car accident. 




I live with such sensible pigs.  Pig Dean promised he would be careful and said I could hang the '57 Chevy in his garage.  And what's that I see?  Another car and another pig with an idea?!?!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.