Thursday, February 21, 2013

It Hadn't a Thing to Wear

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you'll know that I like dress forms.  I made an appliqued dress form framed wall hanging, a pieced wonky log cabin dress form quilt, and have started a dress form collection.

They were all nice, but they weren't a REAL dress form.  I used to have a real dress form until we had our roof replaced.  That dress form was ugly and bionic looking - grey covering, silver stand, body split into sections controlled by knobs.  Since I don't make clothes any longer, I didn't really need it, and the dumpster in the driveway just invited us to do some junk purging.

Well, last week I bought a real dress form that is up my alley - purely decorative...


I got it at JoAnn Fabrics.  They were nice enough to open the box for me, since they didn't have one on display.  They were really happy when I took the box I made them open.  The dress form came with two covers, neither one to my taste.  So really, it didn't have a thing to wear, and I was just the person to make something!



An apron seemed like the perfect thing.  All the aprons I made in the past have been without a pattern, inspired by various issues of Apronology.  I showed you two of them - Tea Time Apron and Tomato Apron.  Some day I'll show you Swamp Apron and Umbrella Apron.

But now I felt like patterns!  And they were on sale, 5 for $5.   I knew that I didn't have to buy 5.  You can buy 1 for $1 or you can buy 3 for $3 or you can buy 9 for $9.  I tried to stop myself from buying 5, but I have to admit I didn't try too hard.  Into the cart they went.

This would be a great way to use up some of that fabric at home, right?




Except I didn't have any of this at home and ooh, it's so pretty and apron-ish.  Into the cart it went.  My cart was getting sort of full.  I put back the cutting ruler I had been waiting for to go on sale.  Dress forms and aprons suddenly moved up on my priority list.




Now my dress form has something to wear!!  I used Simplicity 4987.  It sure is a long apron, though.  But since I'm not the one wearing it, who am I to complain?  The fabric is the star of this apron.



The dress form has a little trouble dressing - note the slanted waistband.  I made it perfectly even, honest.  Maybe it's the piggy weight on that side that's pulling it down. 

 


I bought a length of green/fuchsia/gold pom-poms to go on the bottom, but I didn't get enough.  Hence the rick rack.  You know you're going to see pom poms on a future apron, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.