Wednesday, February 27, 2013

International Polar Bear Day

Today is International Polar Bear Day.   As luck would have it, I just finished a whole-cloth polar bear crib-sized quilt this past weekend at my guild's Community Sew Day.

When I started this last month, I was going to free-motion around each polar bear.  I accidentally forgot to bring my free-motion foot to the January Sew Day, so I did the wavy lines instead.  I think my subconscious was doing me a favor by forgetting to bring it.  The wavy lines took long enough.


My friend Ginny donated an entire bolt of this fabric.  The blues are lovely and rich. 




This is the back.  She donated a bolt of this, as well.  It looks like leaping dolphins from here...




but now you can see they are Harry Potter-ish owls.

Sometimes I think quilters get too concerned with worrying if their quilts are good enough or interesting or unusual or artistic.  The child that gets this quilt won't care that it wasn't pieced.  They're going to have fun looking at polar bears and owls.




And finally, polar bear beads and an "ice flow" bead.  I bought these several years ago and still haven't come up with the right project for them.  In the meantime, the glacier bead is a vase in my miniature house, holding miniature grass.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.