Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Design Challenge - Horizontal

In my little quilting group, we are studying modern quilts as well as quilt design.  As part of our challenge, I'm making two styles of blocks in each of nine design compositions.  I'm a week ahead this time!  I'm making my batik blocks without patterns.  For the most part, the modern blocks will be made with patterns.



This is my batik horizontal, fused applique, machine-edge-stitched block.  It's approximately 10 inches square.




Here it is with the diagonal block.  This time I rotated the horizontal block 180 degrees so that the orange strips are on the top.  I think I like it better the other way.  What do you think?




This is my modern horizontal block, approximately 14 inches square.  I didn't really have a pattern for this - who needs a pattern to cut strips?  But I used an inspiration photo from Holly Hickman's Line Art quilt that was in Quilts and More, Winter 2010.




And here it is with the diagonal block.  I thought that diagonal block was too big when I made it.  And what did I do?  I made a horizontal block even bigger.  Sigh.



Still to come, in no particular order:
  1. vertical
  2. circular
  3. radiating
  4. grid
  5. framed/border
  6. symmetrical
  7. asymmetrical


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.