Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Boutique Apron Is Finished

Yesterday I finished my Boutique Apron, made from McCall's pattern M6132My mannequin was previously wearing a paper pieced portable mixer apron, but the colors no longer worked in my sewing room.  I needed something pink.



I call this a Boutique Apron because the bottom fabric has lots of different boutiques, one of which is a shoe store.  One of the options for the apron featured a shoe on the bib, so the boutique fabric was perfect.




The back has cross ties that go through loops at the waist.  I cut the ties too short, before I realized all the real estate they had to traverse before they got tied in a bow.  So now that everything is completely done, you can see there's not enough length for a bow.

The apron is fully lined - first time I ever saw an apron like that.  It makes it seem more substantial and professional, even if my mannequin is the only one who'll be wearing it.




I ran into a little problem once I put the apron on the mannequin.  The angle of the tie coming off the bib was not conducive to going up over the shoulder.  The tie wanted to go way out to the side, like if you were holding your arms out at shoulder level.  

The only thing I can think of that would have caused it is when I sewed the tie on, maybe I was supposed to align the curve 180 degrees opposite of what I did.  Then the curve would have been up towards the neck.  That would have been a nice hint to put in the directions.  Way too late now.




To fix it, I made little pleats and sewed buttons on to hold the pleats in place.

The pattern called for a button on the ankle strap.  I also added a button on the bow.

Now I'm ready for a new project, but I don't know what it will be yet.  I hope it won't have any surprises in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.