Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Paper Pieced Portable Mixer Apron

Here's the other item I made for my paper piecing presentation at my modern quilting club. 


The pattern is by Penny Layman and it's from Lucky Spool's Essential Guild to Modern Quilt Making.  Her paper piecing chapter had a lot of patterns, but I only had time to make one.  I didn't want to just make a block and have it sit around as an orphan, so I picked the portable mixer and used it as the apron's bodice.



Once I chose that block, I pulled my fabrics and made a little cheat sheet so I could remember which color went where.  Then I colored it in as I finished all the sections for each fabric.



And believe me, this little pattern had A LOT of sections.  I wrote each letter on a chalkboard and crossed them off as each one got done: A B C D E F G H I J K L M.  

Plus most of them were tiny!  What you see in the photograph above is life size.  There's not much room for stitching and flipping and pressing seams open.


The cord is embroidered with a back stitch.  I completely faced the top, left the bottom open, then turned it inside out.  I tucked the bottom seam allowance inside and top stitched all around - no raw edges anywhere.  Then I sewed it to the waistband with another top stitch.

I could wear it, but I'm not going to.  I'm going to leave it on my mannequin for the time being.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.