Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Almost Done with Boutique Apron

I'm ALMOST done with my boutique apron.


Last week I sewed the bib to the bottom.  That curved seam taught me a little something about multiple 5/8" marks on my sewing machine.




Today I made the straps and sewed them on.  They attach to the top of the bib, cross over on the back, and go through loops.  There are lots of nice touches like that on this apron pattern.

The straps are 43" long, and it took a long time to turn them inside out after sewing the seam.  The pattern had them at 53" but I cut them down before I realized how they would be used.  I thought they were just going on the waist and therefore were ridiculously long.  But even after trimming, I think they'll still work out.  I hope, anyhow, because it's too late now.  Guess I should have read the directions before cutting.




Today I also made these little loops and sewed them on.  They're located at the waist and they're what the straps will get pulled through.   They started as a 2" x 4" rectangle, then you sewed a 3/8" seam and were supposed to turn them inside out.  2" turned into 1" when folded in half, then after a 3/8" seam allowance, you had a 5/8" hole to pull the fabric through.  Hmmph.

After a short frustrating try at that, I threw them out, cut new rectangles and went to Plan B:  Fold under 3/8" on each edge, then fold in half with wrong sides together and sew along the edge.  Much easier!




When I sewed the bib to the bottom, the curve made it hard to match the outer edges.  I didn't feel like tearing it out and starting over, because of all the easing on the curve.  So when I put the lining on, I'll just smooth everything out.

And that will be the last step - add the lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.