Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mixer Question Board

What's a mixer question board?  It's a decorated piece of mat board on which a "mixer" question is written.  People in a group answer the question as a means of getting to know each other.

My quilt guild recently had a schoolhouse program with four teaching slots of 15 minutes each.  The guild members divide into four groups and rotate through each station.  When one of the teachers had to bow out, we decided to do a "mixer" in that slot.  Too often there aren't enough opportunities for members to mingle with each other, so we thought we'd try this out.


The questions needed to be displayed on something, so I decided to use up some of my scraps on a display board.  I have way too many blue scraps, so that was going to be on one of the mat boards.



And just as many greens.  Two boards is all I needed.



Here you see the green board getting built.  I picked the greens that looked good together, then roughly trimmed them and used a glue stick to attach the pieces to the outer edge of the mat board.




 Here's the blue one, finished.  I used a rotary cutter to neatly trim the outer edges.



 And here's the green one.



To speed things up, I used solid pieces on the backs.   It took every last bit of both of my glue sticks, but at least I had enough.




I wrote the question on a piece of paper, then used removable, scrapbook, double-sided tape to attach it.  

I did this for two reasons.  Firstly, what if I goofed up the question when writing on the mat board?  I don't know how I would have recovered from that catastrophe.  And secondly, now I can use the frames in the future with a different question, just by swapping out the paper.




The mat board is 14" x 18".  I used black plate holders to prop them up, then set them a 6-foot table.  It was up to the person to decide which question they wanted to answer.  Some people had such a good time that they answered both.

I had a good time making them, and I was glad to use up more of my scraps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.