Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday is Purse Day - Macavity the Mystery Cat

I made this purse in 2007, while enamored of the Cats soundtrack.  One song in particular stuck with me - Macavity the Mystery Cat, whose lyrics are from T.S. Eliot's poem of the same name.  What with a new season of Foyle's War starting this week, and Foyle's foray into MI5, this seemed like a good time to share this purse with you.


 
Macavity is a ginger-colored cat.  I knit a rectangle out of variegated yarn with a ginger cast to it, then folded it in thirds.  The top third flops over to make the flap.

The body is 3" wide and 2" tall.    The pink beads look like eyeglasses, just the thing for a mystery cat. A beaded fringe dangles off the edge of the flap, another element of disguise.




On the back, you can see the stacked beading I used to close the side seams.  

The handle is braided with three strands of the yarn used in the body, then I wrapped the orange eyelash yarn round and round it.




Macavity and a cat clock I bought at a thrift store today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.