Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thursday is Purse Day - Flea Market Purses

I didn't make either of these purses, but they're both relevant to flea markets.


I bought this purse this summer as my "flea market purse".  The idea was to get a bag large enough that I could stash my purchases in, so I wouldn't have to carry around a bunch of shopping bags.  The problem is, by the time I loaded it up with my regular purse stuff, lunch, a water bottle, and a sunglass case, it was almost overflowing.  At 16" wide and 13" deep (excluding the handle), you'd think it would have been more than adequate.  Maybe I need to rethink what my "regular" stuff is that I put in a purse.

The long handle and swinging beads give it a nice heft and movement when you sling it over your shoulder.  It's so much fun to use that I take it everywhere.




The yellow, purple, and orange blocks are leather.  So are the appliqued flower and butterfly.   Even though the purse is brand new, it was designed to look like a vintage late-1960s bag, all groovy and full of flower power.




I bought this purse earlier this month at my favorite flea market.  I had only seen pictures of this style before, so when a live one appeared before my eyes, I snatched it up.

It's from the 1960s, made of decoupaged wood.  It's 9" wide, 5" deep, and 5 1/2" tall (excluding the plastic handle).  There are four little feet and a ball-snap closure.




The inside is lined with gold felt and a couple of pigs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.