Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Making it Mine - Little Yellow Dresser

Last week I showed you a cupboard I converted into something more my style.  This week I finished doing something similar with a little dresser.

This is how it looked when I bought it many years ago at a botanical garden gift shop.  I eventually got tired of the pastel colors and cottage-y look, so I made it live in a box in the basement for the last few years.  I tried to give it away last month, but no luck, so I decided to keep it and use up more of my yellow spray paint.



This is how it looks after making it mine.  It's a little thing, 8" tall, 6" wide, and 3" deep.  The knobs are glued in, darn it, so I had to leave them alone.




Once again, I tried to dial back a little on all that yellow.  I had wooden buttons the same shape as the flowers on the Washi tape.  At first I put vertical strips of Washi tape on the middle drawer, and four buttons on each drawer.  Too much, so I pulled all that off and got out lots of plastic buttons and pretty much covered the front of each drawer with a different color.  Again, too much.  

Back to Plan A, edited a bit.  With less on the front, I was able to get away with adding some paper on top.  It's pretty much the same yellow, but with a modern white chevron to lighten it up a bit.



When I added the trim to the top, I felt very carpenter-ish doing so.  I used a tiny little saw and jig to hold the wood straight so I could get perfect 90-degree angles.  Then I was very patient as I put on two coats of paint and gradually glued the sides separately from the front and back.




The interior of the drawers remains as it was when I bought the dresser.  Not a perfect match to the Washi tape, but close enough.  And it's nice to have that little bit of history.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.