Monday, June 22, 2015

Monday is Fun Day - Ballerina Hanky Box

Ballerinas are starting to pop up all over the place in my house.  Not sure how that happened. 


This 1940s ballerina hanky/stocking box showed up in one of my new-favorite vintage stores.  It's 10" on the long side and 7" on the short sides. 

The box came with three hankys, which I gave back to them.  I don't know why people get nostalgic about hankys.  I bet the people that used them back in the olden days would have loved to have disposable tissues.

I liked the idea of fabric, though, so I just folded up some of my quilting cotton and laid it in there.  Then I added the ribbon to the hole in the front corner.  That's how you lift the hinged lid.




Here's the ballerina.

The box is from the Hommer's Manufacturing Company.  The boxes come in different colors - some have marbelized sides.  Some have ballerinas; some don't.  I think I like this clear one the best because it offers the best view into the contents.  But if I run across one with the marbelized sides, especially if it's the pink one, I bet it comes home with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.