Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Chevron Curtain

For the last two weeks I've been working on the project that goes with my new orange lamp.  I finished it this morning - that's a nice way to start the new year.


Here's the panel (approximately 60" x 71") on my design wall.   The lampshade had chevrons, so that's the design I chose.  

I originally pulled 31 fabrics and knew I needed to edit it down.  I went from 31 to 12, but only used 4 of the ones I started with.  I love yellow and aqua, so used lots of that.




I didn't use the pattern I had picked out because it was too symmetrical.  I just made tons of half-square triangles, then offset the columns and made some of them broken chevrons.

 
It's not a quilt - it's a curtain that I hung from a folding screen.  Several years ago I saw a similar concept in a quilting book; I think it might have been a curtain.  What struck me was how it looked like a stained glass window and that's the effect I wanted.  The seam allowances look almost like the lead came.  This picture was taken on a cloudy day; on a sunny day the effect will be more striking.


The beige fabric is a very coarse-woven muslin that frays and wrinkles like you wouldn't believe.  I dread the day I need to wash this curtain.


And here they are, made for each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.