Friday, May 17, 2013

Two More Design Compositions

In the background I keep working (SLOWLY) on making blocks that feature different design compositions as described by Katie Pasquini Masopust in her book Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter.   I'm making two versions - one in modern fabrics, one in batiks.  Because I'm so slow, I only have the modern ones to show you today.


This is the asymmetrical block.  It's really hard to get the long skinny points, at least for me.  You can see I only managed two of them. 




The block is Stargazing, designed by Angela Pingel, from the book Modern Blocks.  I love this book.  I need to make more blocks from it.




This is the grid composition.  It's a paper pieced pattern called Beggar Block or Spool Block, from Charise Creates.  She did a tutorial of it as part of her Vintage Block Quilt Along.

Charise has lots of modern takes on paper piecing and comes up with some really cute designs.  I like to see recognizable objects in my quilts - chairs, flowers, dress forms (!!!) and lots of her patterns feature just such items.  I need to make more of her blocks, too!!!




I spent most of this week decluttering the house.  I took an entire car load of stuff to my favorite resale shop.  It feels very open and peaceful in my brain, now.  Just the thing to get back into the sewing room.  

I've been working on embroidery, but I have three quilting projects that have been going on forever and I just want to get them done.  You know how that feels!

Plus, I've been reading lots of Zakka  books lately, resulting in a rather lengthy list of small projects that I'm excited about.  Starting next week, I hope to get back to a more frequent posting schedule.  That encourages me to keep focused on my sewing!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.