Thursday, January 7, 2016

Charity Shawl

Today we see a shawl, the last of the three charity quilts I made for a memory care unit. 


All of them are backed in warm fleece, in the same color - bright green.  Green goes with everything.  The two lap quilts had pieced tops in warm colors, but this shawl has cool colors.  In the background, you can see I added a touch of orange to warm things up just a bit.




What you see in this photograph is what's typical of each of the seven rows.  The white vertical lines aren't sashing - they're divider lines I added to the photo so I can explain my construction process.

To the left of the first white line is my first block - Riverbank, designed by Tiffany Stephens, from the book Modern Blocks.  I downsized it from 12" to 10".  To the right of it is a second block, turned 90 degrees.  Then, because I needed the shawl to measure approximately 24" wide, I added a 4" strip on the end.




This is the top section of the shawl - rows 1 through 4.  Each row has a different focus fabric - blue/green shamrocks in row 1, large navy floral in row 2, green/white rectangles in row 3, and a Philip Jacobs delphinium print in row 4.  

Each row also has that extra 4" strip in a different place, which affected what orientation the blocks had in that row.




This shows rows 4 - 7.   Seven rows with a 10" tall block gave me 70" in length, the right size for a shawl.




Here's the whole thing.  It looks a lot scrappier than I thought it would when I started.  I tried for some symmetry by using the delphiniums in the center row (row 4), then using the same focus fabric as you work your way out.  So, rows 3 and 5 have the green/white rectangles, rows 2 and 6 have the large navy floral, and rows 1 and 7 have the shamrocks.




I used up one small bucket of fabric making these three quilts, which made me happy.  But I still have scraps of some of what I used, such as these green/white rectangles.  And since I like this fabric, that made me happy, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.