Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tea for Tuesday - Carrot Teapot

I cut way back on my teapot buying, but I did buy one earlier this year.  I like ceramics that look like things - food, houses, animals.


So when I saw this carrot teapot at a thrift store, I bought it.  It turned out to be educational, because I learned a few new things about carrots this year...

Up until around 100 years ago, most carrots were red or purple or yellow.  If I ever see any of them, I'm going to buy them.  I would imagine they're not as robust or prolific of a grower as the orange ones, and that's why you don't see them nowadays.

The other thing I learned is that the amount of red in a House Finch's plumage is determined by the quantity of carotenoids in its diet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.