Monday, March 11, 2013

Does Anybody Know What Time It Is?

It's not so much that I don't like Daylight Saving Time.  It's that I don't like switching back and forth.  I don't think anybody does. To help ease the strain of Daylight Saving Time this year, I decided to amuse myself by making a couple of clocks.



I made this clock out of a frisbee covered with batting and fabric.  I bought the clock mechanism at JoAnn Fabric and painted the hands - dark plum for the hour and minute hands; a lovely vibrant pink for the second hand.

I learned how to do this in SewHome magazine, from the editors of Threads.  Basically, you cut a big circle, sew bias tape around the edge, then thread elastic through it.  I think it took me as long to get the elastic through the channel as it took to do everything else on the clock.  And that was using a bodkin!  Whew!




This is one of my favorite clocks - purchased, obviously.  It looks like something that would hang in a schoolroom in Ye Olden Days, so I made a corresponding vignette.  It doesn't really live in this environment.  This is just me playing around.


I wish I could say I made this one, but I bought it.  I keep buying clocks because I keep finding cute ones.  I forgot I had that fabric that I used in the picnic basket until I put this vignette together.  I love, love, love it and will definitely work it into a quilt this year.

I bought the Flintsones glass on Small Business Saturday (the day after Thanksgiving) when my friend Barb took me quilt-store-hopping.  Coincidentally, I ran into her at JoAnn this weekend when I was buying my clock mechanisms.

I made a second clock, but it's still drying.  Come back tomorrow when it's done.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment won't display immediately.